Wednesday, July 19, 2017

Week 51: Semana de Milagros Numero ____ (however many weeks I have in the mission. I guess almost 52? :D)

Hola!

To clarify some questions that some people asked me (but as we all know, as Mummy asked me): 

There were missionaries in this área before. Just this last transfer the área was closed, but we´re reopening the área.

[I asked her why she called us “papas” when Google Translate said that means “potatoes.”] 

No, "papas" is potatoes. Papás is parents 😀 With the accent, you put the emphasis on that syllable. So, potatoes would be PApas. But parents is paPAS.

[I also asked her: Scale of 1 to 100: How would you rate your Spanish speaking? And what do you still need to work on?]

90? 85? An A minus? There are still a LOT of words that people just use sometimes. Like, my vocabulary is pretty good, it´s just that in each part of Mexico there are a hundred different words for each thing. So you´re always learning new words for things. Also, there are some things that I still might not say right. Like, I say it more in a manner english-ish than spanish-ish, but it´s generally pretty good.

It rains here, but generally not as much [as in her last area] and not every day. But that brings me to one miracle! We were in a part of our área pretty far from our house, so we have to take a combi [bus] to return to the part more central of our área. And we THOUGHT that we had to go to this one street to wait for the combi, but after we had walked there and waited for a bit we realized that, because it was late, the combi didn´t pass by there! So we had to walk about 15 blocks to go to this OTHER part of the área where the combi would pass. But when we arrived, not a single combi passed! We were getting pretty frantic, it was, like, 8:50, and all this time I was thinking, "Don´t worry, Heavenly Father, I´m praying in my heart, we just don´t have the time to do a real prayer! But I´m praying in my heart for a combi!" But then, it started to RAIN. When it started I was just like, "Nooo, this is the salt in the wound, PLEASE don´t let it rain." But then I just heard that little voice, but SO CLEARLY: "Say a prayer." So I closed my eyes and just thought, "Please, Father, let the combi pass right now." I opened my eyes, and 10 seconds later there was the combi! We got on, and then it just started to POUR!!! As we drove, I felt like we were more in a boat than in a combi! It was a pretty awesome miracle, but I also felt a little bad for not having really prayed BEFORE.

Another miracle we saw: yesterday we met a guy, C! We were asking how to find an address (and contacting while doing so) so we asked him if he´d ever spoken to missionaries. And WOW. He said that he had spoken to elders a few years ago, but that he wasn´t that interested then. But then he was diagnosed with diabetes, and ever since then he´s been looking and looking for a church, to get closer to God! He´s gone to all different types of churches, but then he asked us if the church has the power of healing. It was really really awesome to be able to explain that the same power and authority that Jesús Christ had, and has, is here on earth. We couldn´t promise that he would be healed, because we don´t know if it´s the will of God, but that we could promise him peace and tranquility, even WITH the sickness. We have an appointment for tomorrow, so pray lots for him! He said he would invite his wife and kids, too!!! (So, pray even more :D)

We went this Thursday to talk with the boyfriend who came to church, O, but nobody was home! We were pretty sad, but then this Saturday we felt that we should go visit him. He lives WAY up a hill and there aren´t very many other people to visit if we would go and he wasn´t there. But we were with hno P, our líder missional [mission leader], and we decided to go for it! And he was there! It was worth it :D It was our first official visit with him, and he accepted a baptismal date for August 12! It´ll be a lot of work, but he´s super excited! He mentioned that he wanted to ask permission to have his rest day as ALWAYS Sunday...without us even mentioning it!

I´m so excited to keep seeing the miracles la Salle has prepared for us!

Love you all lots!

Hermana Owens

CHIAPAS <3

"Todo lo puedo en Cristo, que me fortalece."
[I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.]
The sister training leaders gave us this!









Monday Movie Day!
Featuring "On the Way home"
30 minutes about a family that lost their daughter,
but then a good friend shares the góspel with them.
A message of hope and inspiration.
And "The Testaments" with sign language in English
because we couldn´t figure out how to change it.
We only watched a little. It was pretty fun to watch
because the signer was VERY expressive.
Hna Hernández was embarrassed
because she hadn´t bathed yet, but ah well.

No comments:

Post a Comment